From: Pete M0PSX <group@...>
Date: 09/10/2019 21:08 (GMT+00:00)
To: main@hamclubs.groups.io
Subject: [Ham Clubs] Removing clubs from training and exams?

In a recent poll in the RSGB Workshop Chat Group, people were asked whether the club entry system for getting an amateur radio licence should be removed. Key to the discussion seemed to be that only a small number of clubs are offering training, making it hard for newcomers to find an exam venue and/or course.

90% of those responding were in favour of clubs being removed as the entry system for the hobby.

The discussion was here: https://groups.io/g/RSGB-Workshop/topic/34445155 - but this has now been locked by their moderator preventing further discussion.

Do you agree, or disagree with the poll findings?

Pete M0PSX

(Cross-posted to our Training, Clubs and Chat Groups - www.sxham.uk/discuss)

Steve marsh (M0NMA)

I have mixed feelings. With the current exam structure, I disagree. However this has the problem that it is increasingly difficult to find somewhere nearby where you can take the exam. This results in new amateurs joining a club solely to sit the exam and then disappearing due to the distances involved, or giving up entirely because it is too difficult to get there.

If there was a new, very basic, licence then this could be done without involving any clubs but it would then give an opportunity for clubs to contact more outlying members using V/UHF repeaters to encourage them on their way towards higher licences where a practical and exam are needed. It might even encourage the creation of new repeaters....

Steve

Allan Gallop

Honestly I disagree, in fact clubs should be more involved in training and exams. My concern is with those who have difficulty traveling and/or otherwise disabled, with the new online exam system the avenue is now opened for potentially more people to be able to join the hobby, should club trainers be able to train and moderate exams from a person's home.. a feat only possible by local clubs. I think the RSGB should do more in the way of empowering clubs with tools to make this happen.

barrie_spink

No body would want to stop clubs doing training and in an ideal world there would be a club reasonably near to those that wanted to do the exam. However clubs and club membership is in decline and costs for clubs are increasing. Taking the exam is not an issue , in remote places it can be done at a local school. Sending a trainer to a persons house may involve having two trainers go to meet regulations. Doing the practical is the big issue and then  providing support after  the exam is passed.
If you want to do the practical at some ones house you need to take up two of every thing to do the contacts bit. You can not rely on other Radio Amateurs coming back to calls, you need to arrange for a second person to be out side with operational gear. When the exam is passed you will in many cases have to advise on what to do next and provide support to maintain interest.
I deal with one of the most remote areas of Scotland, training needs to be organised  to suit the convenience of the person seeking it
Barrie P Spink  GM0KZX

On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 at 11:17, Allan Gallop <allangallop88@...> wrote:
Honestly I disagree, in fact clubs should be more involved in training and exams. My concern is with those who have difficulty traveling and/or otherwise disabled, with the new online exam system the avenue is now opened for potentially more people to be able to join the hobby, should club trainers be able to train and moderate exams from a person's home.. a feat only possible by local clubs. I think the RSGB should do more in the way of empowering clubs with tools to make this happen.

M5AKA

We want clubs to continue training but we also need a separate Online Only approach to cater for those areas where no suitable club-based training is available.

The past 17 years has shown us that no more than 40% of clubs are capable of running a Foundation course and not all of those clubs still run courses today. The RSGB Exam and Course Finder information is woefully out-of-date.

This means most areas in the UK don't have a local training course and some have had to travel up to 200 miles to get to a club where they can do their Practical Assessments and Exam.

It's clear we need to supplement the existing training provision with a totally Online system for the Course and Exam with No Practical Assessments. This would bring the opportunity to join our hobby to All People in the UK not just the fortunate few who live near a club that provides training.

73 Trevor M5AKA