Topics

One to rule them all

allangallop@...
 

Having looked around online most ham sites seem to based on WordPress and having talked with a few 'webmasters' their seems to also be a knowledge gap or confusion with how to best post content due to plugins etc

So a quick note on WordPress;
1. Plugins, whilst useful, must be chosen wisely as many get abandoned by their developers and fall out of date or have features locked away behind a paywall. There is also a small chance that some may poorly written and impact site performance, or have malicious code

2. Vulnerability, WordPress has a few weaknesses that can be exploited especially when coupled with above, I highly recommend everyone with a WP site installs and uses Jetpack, it helps protect your site, boosts image performance and provides more detailed statistics. If you have the capability during the installation of WP make sure to set the SQL table prefix to something other than 'WP_'

3. Backups, make sure your WP install is backed up regularly and does not store the backup files in a web accessible directory

If you have any concerns feel free to contact me and I will happily scan your site for known vulnerabilities / issues (do not send me login details!)

Finally on to the purpose of my post; If I were to stick my neck out and design a WP package that encompasses features for a club calendar, members management, members area, etc along with a bespoke theme for the purpose of providing clubs with a single secure tool instead using and having to manage multiple plugins / themes and code; does anyone think this would be useful? And are their any features you would want to see?

All would be provided free of charge

Steve marsh (M0NMA)
 

Allan - that sounds like another good way of sharing expertise. Thanks for the tips too!

I will need to move our website to another host soon as the member who originally wrote it has moved on, Do you have any suggestions for a good host package?

Steve

Elizabeth Bruton
 

Hi,

I am the web manager for the Oxford & District Amateur Radio Club
website at http://www.odars.org.uk/, which runs on Wordpress and would
definitely be interested in a plugin that encompasses features
suitable for an amateur radio club site. Our members' area currently
only hosts file and does not include any personal information so our
site is http rather than https - something I would have to change if a
proper members' area was added.

Thanks,

Liz

On Sun, 19 May 2019 at 10:15, <allangallop@...> wrote:

Having looked around online most ham sites seem to based on WordPress and having talked with a few 'webmasters' their seems to also be a knowledge gap or confusion with how to best post content due to plugins etc

So a quick note on WordPress;
1. Plugins, whilst useful, must be chosen wisely as many get abandoned by their developers and fall out of date or have features locked away behind a paywall. There is also a small chance that some may poorly written and impact site performance, or have malicious code

2. Vulnerability, WordPress has a few weaknesses that can be exploited especially when coupled with above, I highly recommend everyone with a WP site installs and uses Jetpack, it helps protect your site, boosts image performance and provides more detailed statistics. If you have the capability during the installation of WP make sure to set the SQL table prefix to something other than 'WP_'

3. Backups, make sure your WP install is backed up regularly and does not store the backup files in a web accessible directory

If you have any concerns feel free to contact me and I will happily scan your site for known vulnerabilities / issues (do not send me login details!)

Finally on to the purpose of my post; If I were to stick my neck out and design a WP package that encompasses features for a club calendar, members management, members area, etc along with a bespoke theme for the purpose of providing clubs with a single secure tool instead using and having to manage multiple plugins / themes and code; does anyone think this would be useful? And are their any features you would want to see?

All would be provided free of charge

allangallop@...
 

Hi Steve, as much as it pains me to say it I would suggest 1&1 Ionos or Fasthost

allangallop@...
 

Hi Liz,
Thanks that's great, so maybe it would be best deployable as two separate packages, a theme and a plugin so existing sites can maintain their original theme?

I had a think last night of some features I'd like to see:
- Members as WP users (so users can maintain their own profiles, passwords, renewal details ala GDPR)
- New WP user groups
- Membership forms
- Integrate Privacy, GDPR & Cookie statements
- Members only blog roll
- Events Calendar w/subscribe
- Event Ticketing / Manager

The last idea I had was to include a facility to permit pages to act as independent blog rolls so all content can be delivered as Post's using categories instead of having to manipulate Pages


-

Elizabeth Bruton
 

I second 1&1 - they now trade under the name IONOS 1&1.

Liz

On Sun, 19 May 2019 at 20:46, <allangallop@...> wrote:

Hi Steve, as much as it pains me to say it I would suggest 1&1 Ionos or Fasthost

Elizabeth Bruton
 

Thanks - I think separate plugin and theme would work best and all of
the features sounds useful. ODARS is a small club so I don't think
we'd have use for a members only blog roll but I'm sure other clubs
might.

Again thanks,

Liz

On Mon, 20 May 2019 at 06:51, <allangallop@...> wrote:

Hi Liz,
Thanks that's great, so maybe it would be best deployable as two separate packages, a theme and a plugin so existing sites can maintain their original theme?

I had a think last night of some features I'd like to see:
- Members as WP users (so users can maintain their own profiles, passwords, renewal details ala GDPR)
- New WP user groups
- Membership forms
- Integrate Privacy, GDPR & Cookie statements
- Members only blog roll
- Events Calendar w/subscribe
- Event Ticketing / Manager

The last idea I had was to include a facility to permit pages to act as independent blog rolls so all content can be delivered as Post's using categories instead of having to manipulate Pages


-

M5AKA
 

Liz,
 
My take on members only areas on club websites is they are a complete waste of time and effort.
 
The hard truth is that clubs with fewer than 50 members are unlikely to be capable of generating sufficient compelling content to make a Members Only area viable.
 
The question should be who exactly is going to be generating all the content for a members only area?
 
I know some clubs put their newsletter in a Members Only area. Now I view a club newsletter as something that should be spread far and wide to showcase and promote the club, but i acknowledge some clubs like to keep what they do secret.
 
73 Trevor M5AKA

allangallop@...
 

Liz / Trevor, appreciate the feedback is very useful.

My initial thoughts on a members only blogroll was to give all members author rights to it so it could act as a dirty-forum / buy & sell but your right it probably wouldn't be all that useful

Steve marsh (M0NMA)
 

Trevor

I echo your comments - our experience is that the members area was not used and so has now been disabled. We have set up a groups.io closed mailing group that provides most of the functionality that a members area would have - message, file and photo folders are available as well as a wiki. In practice our website is now more of a window on the club, training, the hobby and our activities. It has some use to members but is more useful in attracting interest in us/the hobby.

We also have a facebook group that has many more non-members than members and only about 25% of the club use the FB group, We also have a Twitter account, which has a feed to the website so is a quick and easy way of updating our main page so that it appears current to visitors.