Re: RSGB Convention - Grow, Merge or Disband Your Club

Antony Watts

Check out my latest blog post at GanymedeHam.blogspot.com on this subject. In Banbury we did something about it, we call it club ZEST.

On 14 Oct 2019, at 12:35, RONALD WHITE via Groups.Io <ronald_white444=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Only problem I can see if we all go virtual clubs with no clubs as they are now then any practical teaching needed or even people wishing to learn new aspects will have not a lot of places field days are good but not if weather is inclement so clubs as they are do have a place.lights blue touch paper stands back with tin hat on 😊

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

-------- Original message --------
From: Pete M0PSX <@essexham>
Date: 14/10/2019 00:22 (GMT+00:00)
To: main@hamclubs.groups.io
Subject: [Ham Clubs] RSGB Convention - Grow, Merge or Disband Your Club

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone here attended the RSGB Convention this week, and in particular, the last session of the day, about clubs?

For those who didn't, here is an extract from my RSGB Convention 2019 Report

Probably the highlight of my weekend. Run by the ICQ Podcast team, this was a panel of two ICQ presenters, two RSGB Board members (Ian Shepherd and Kamal Singh), plus Richard G4JJP (author of a controversial article in the June 2019 Radcom suggesting a change to club structures)

ICQ Podcast’s “Gow, Merge or Disband your Club” session
To be honest, I’m still digesting the contents of this talk and reviewing four pages of copious notes taken. There’s a lot to be said about this session – far too much for this summary. A few of the points I underlined:

• “Hubs not clubs”
• “Club baggage”
• “Hub” vs “Virtual clubs”
• “Should the RSGB be a hub?”
• To Google: “Disintermediation”, “centre set” “closed set” (bounded set?)
• A mention for the “Brickworks” scheme (that didn’t launch at the Convention)
• Some RSGB regional teams issue a “regional newsletter”
• Top-down vs Bottom-up approach
• Some interesting thoughts on youth access to amateur radio
• Clear divisions between single stand-alone clubs, and those acting as “hubs” to a greater or lesser extent
It was great that the efforts of Essex Ham members was acknowledged, and it was very rewarding that both Richard and the ICQ team highlighted Essex Ham as positive examples of the hub model. Positive mentions too for CambHams and Suffolk RED. RSGB also acknowledged that virtual clubs are “starting to appear”

Any thoughts?

Pete M0PSX

Join main@hamclubs.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.